Met gala attendees Andrew Rannells, left, Anna Netrebko, center, and Rob and Marisol Thomas, right
© Marty Sohl/Metropolitan Opera 2014
1. Celebrities from the worlds of theater, film, fashion and music were in the audience for opening night of the season at the METROPOLITAN OPERA on September 22. Among the crowd on the red carpet were actors Christine Baranski, Richard Chamberlain, Patricia Clarkson, Tony Danza, Josh Lucas, Kelli O’Hara and ANDREW RANNELLS; divas Renée Fleming and ANNA NETREBKO; singer–songwriter ROB THOMAS; and designers Thom Browne, Zac Posen, Austin Scarlett and Vera Wang.
2. PATRICIA RACETTE received the San Francisco Opera Medal, the highest honor awarded by the company to an artistic professional, at a ceremony after her September 21 performance of Susannah. Racette, who has sung more than thirty roles with SFO, celebrates her twenty-fifth anniversary with the company this season. The medal was presented to Racette by SFO general director DAVID GOCKLEY, who announced on October 3 that he will retire in July 2016, concluding a tenure of more than ten years with the company.
3. On September 29, ŽELJKO LUČIĆ appeared in “The Singers’ Studio” interview series presented by OPERA NEWS. In the audience were voice students from MANHATTAN SCHOOL OF MUSIC, who had the chance to talk privately with the baritone afterwards. (Portions of the public interview are available at operanews.com.) Lučić, who spent the fall at the Met as Macbeth and Amonasro, returns to the company in spring 2015 for Alfio in a new Cavalleria Rusticana.
4. On September 6, LYRIC OPERA OF CHICAGO held a one-day sale of more than 3,500 handmade pieces from the company’s stock of costumes. Some 1,500 opera-loving shoppers attended the sale at the Civic Opera House, which realized more than $140,000.
5. DONATA D’ANNUNZIO LOMBARDI makes her role debut as Adriana Lecouvreur this month at Teatro Comunale di Sassari. The Italian soprano, who made her U.S. debut last spring as Michigan Opera Theatre’s Liù, returned to Detroit in November as Cio-Cio-San.
6. ISABEL LEONARD and NATHAN GUNN were among the red-carpet celebrities at OPERA PHILADELPHIA’s opening-night gala on September 26. Gunn and Leonard will costar in Santa Fe Opera’s world premiere of Jennifer Higdon’s Cold Mountain, a coproduction with Opera Philadelphia, in August 2015.
Send feedback to OPERA NEWS.