Ades competition sponsor Joan Taub Ades, Fox, Putnam and competition mentor Dona D. Vaughn at MSM
© Brian Hatton 2015
1. On April 16, soprano ALAYSHA FOX was named winner of the sixth annual ALAN M. AND JOAN TAUB ADES VOCAL COMPETITION at Manhattan School of Music. Fox, who is a student of Ashley Putnam, received her Bachelor of Music (2013) and Master of Music (2015) degrees from MSM.
2. On April 27, the Richard Tucker Music Foundation announced mezzo-soprano JAMIE BARTON as the winner of the 2015 RICHARD TUCKER AWARD. On November 1, Barton will join a starry lineup at Lincoln Center’s Avery Fisher Hall for the Foundation’s annual gala, to be televised on PBS.
3. Mezzo-soprano KATHARINE GOELDNER sings Thirza in Bard Summerscape’s production of The Wreckers (July–Aug.), then moves on to Lyric Opera of Chicago for Marcellina in Le Nozze di Figaro (Sept.–Oct.). In April 2016, Goeldner will create the role of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis in the world premiere of JFK at Fort Worth Opera.
4. On July 1, DAVID T. ORMESHER becomes president and CEO of the board of LYRIC OPERA OF CHICAGO. Ormesher, who was named president-elect of the Lyric board in April, is the founder and CEO of closerlook, inc., a digital marketing agency.
5. Frequent opera news contributor BETH BERGMAN is the photographer for Field Guide to the Neighborhood Birds of New York City, a new book by naturalist Leslie Day that was published in June by Johns Hopkins University Press. The Guide describes the behaviors of ninety of the city’s most common birds.
6. On May 5, the MIKHAILOVSKY THEATRE in St. Petersburg appointed tenor NEIL SHICOFF as the company’s chief of opera for a term of three years, beginning in September 2015. The announcement was made the same day that Shicoff celebrated the fortieth anniversary of his professional debut with a gala at the Wiener Staatsoper.
7. Former OPERA NEWS associate editor WILLIAM V. MADISON is the author of Madeline Kahn: Being the Music, A Life (University Press of Mississippi), a new biography of the Tony-winning actress and singer. Madison’s précis of Kahn’s work in opera, “Sweet Mystery,” was published in opera news in July 2010.
Send feedback to OPERA NEWS.