Princess Michael of Kent, Hampson and Goga Ashkenazi of Maison Vionnet at Venetian Heritage gala
© A. Pattaro/Vision 2013
1. THOMAS HAMPSON was among the honorees at the first VENETIAN HERITAGE AWARDS on June 1. Hampson, who was presented with his award by PRINCESS MICHAEL OF KENT, was fêted at a gala dinner dance, sponsored by Maison Vionnet, in the newly restored Museum of Palazzo Grimani a Santa Maria Formosa in Venice. Other honorees included actors Tilda Swinton and Richard Gere.
2. THE SALZBURG MARIONETTE THEATRE returns to the METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART in December with its productions of the Ring cycle (Dec. 13, 14) and Alice in Wonderland (Dec. 14, 15). The Ring production, a two-hour version of Wagner's cycle, features two live actors with the marionettes and is performed to the Decca recording led by Georg Solti. For tickets and information, visit www.metmuseum.org.
3. On November 5, NEW YORK FESTIVAL OF SONG will honor composer NED ROREM with "Ned Is Ninety," a musical birthday party at Merkin Concert Hall at Kaufman Center in Manhattan. Mezzo KATE LINDSEY and baritone Andrew Garland join NYFOS founders Steven Blier and Michael Barrett in a program centered on Rorem's music and prose. Other events in the NYFOS Mainstage series are "Cubans in Paris, Cubans at Home" (Dec. 5) and "Warsaw Serenade" (Feb. 18). For tickets and information on these and other events in NYFOS's twenty-sixth season, visit www.nyfos.org.
4. CHRISTINE GOERKE will be artist in residence at the 2014 GLIMMERGLASS FESTIVAL. Goerke will sing the title role in a new production of Ariadne auf Naxos, directed by Glimmerglass's general and artistic director FRANCESCA ZAMBELLO. Other 2014 productions at the festival will be Madama Butterfly, Carousel and An American Tragedy, by Tobias Picker. Butterfly will be conducted by JOSEPH COLANERI, Glimmerglass's newly-appointed music director.
5. GERTRUDE STEIN will sing in June 2014, when STEPHANIE BLYTHE makes her debut at OPERA THEATRE OF SAINT LOUIS in the world premiere of Twenty-Seven. The new opera by RICKY IAN GORDON and ROYCE VAVREK presents Blythe as the iconic American author during her years in Paris, hosting salons at her home at #27 Rue de Fleurus. James Robinson directs and Michael Christie conducts. OTSL's 2014 season also holds ROBIN GUARINO's staging of Dialogues of the Carmelites, starring Christine Brewer and Kelly Kaduce; The Elixir of Love, conducted by OTSL music director STEPHEN LORD; and The Magic Flute, conducted by JANE GLOVER and directed and designed by ISAAC MIZRAHI.
AIDAN LANG, general director of New Zealand Opera, has been named SEATTLE OPERA's third general director, effective September 1, 2014. Lang succeeds Speight Jenkins, who has led the company for more than three decades.
6. In celebration of the BENJAMIN BRITTEN centennial, EMI will release a new recording of the composer's WAR REQUIEM next month. Anna Netrebko, Ian Bostridge and Thomas Hampson are the soloists under the direction of Antonio Pappano.
Send feedback to OPERA NEWS.