Joan Taub Ades, center, with competition winners Wang, Krynski, Cox and Pike
© Brian Hatton 2013
1. On April 24, HARRY BICKET was named the next chief conductor of SANTA FE OPERA, effective October 1, 2013. Bicket, who conducts Mozart's Lucio Silla this month in Barcelona, returns to Santa Fe in the summer of 2014, when he will conduct Beethoven's Fidelio. Bicket's previous Santa Fe appearances include Agrippina (2004), Platée (2007) and Radamisto (2008).
2. THE METROPOLITAN OPERA was honored at the 2013 Opera Awards in London on April 22. The Met won the top prize in two categories — Opera Orchestra and Accessibility, the latter presented in recognition of the company's The Met: Live in HD transmissions. JOYCE DIDONATO, a frequent Live in HD host, accepted the Accessibility prize on behalf of the Met.
3. GOTHAM CHAMBER OPERA's 2013–14 season will feature four new productions, beginning with Baden-Baden 1927, an evening of four one-act operas staged by PAUL CURRAN and conducted by NEAL GOREN that opens on October 23 at the Gerald W. Lynch Theater. Charpentier's Descente d'Orphée aux Enfers, a coproduction with Trinity Church, follows in January 2014. In February, Gotham presents a double bill at the METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART that combines Monteverdi's Combattimento di Tancredi e Clorinda with the world premiere of Lembit Beecher's I Have No Stories to Tell You; mezzo BETH CLAYTON and baritone CRAIG VERM are featured in the cast. The season closes with ALESSANDRA FERRI and FREDRIKA BRILLEMBOURG in the U.S. premiere of Toshio Hosokawa's Raven, presented at the Gerald W. Lynch Theater as part of the New York Philharmonic's inaugural NY PHIL BIENNIAL. For more information, visit www.gothamchamberopera.org.
4. On April 18, baritone YUNPENG WANG was awarded first prize in the fourth ALAN M. AND JOAN TAUB ADES VOCAL COMPETITION at Manhattan School of Music. Second prize winners were soprano REBECCA KRYNSKI and baritone JASON COX; third prize was given to mezzo-soprano RACHELLE PIKE.
5. On April 30, conductor EMMANUEL VILLAUME was named music director of DALLAS OPERA. Villaume, who is at Santa Fe Opera this summer to pace Susan Graham in Offenbach's Grande-Duchesse de Gérolstein, will open Dallas Opera's 2013–14 season by conducting Carmen in October. Other 2013–14 dates for Villaume include Manon at Covent Garden and Meyerbeer's L'Africaine at La Fenice.
VNYFA honoree Goldenthal with Taymor and Norman
© David DuPry 2013
6. Academy Award-winning composer ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL was inducted into the New York Foundation for the Arts' Hall of Fame on April 23. Goldenthal, who was presented with his award by soprano JESSYE NORMAN, is composing the original music for JULIE TAYMOR's forthcoming production of A Midsummer Night's Dream, which will inaugurate the new Brooklyn home of Theatre for a New Audience in November. Goldenthal's previous Shakespeare credits include the film scores Titus (1999) and The Tempest (2010).
Send feedback to OPERA NEWS.