The Met Orchestra, due for WSNY honor, with Fabio Luisi
© Cory Weaver/Metropolitan Opera 2013
1. On March 14, 2014, FREDERICA VON STADE will star in HOUSTON GRAND OPERA's world premiere of A COFFIN IN EGYPT, by Ricky Ian Gordon, the first in a series of new operas commissioned by HGO. Based on the play of the same name by Horton Foote, A Coffin in Egypt is a coproduction with OPERA PHILADELPHIA, which will present the East Coast premiere of the work, also starring von Stade, on June 6, 2014. For more details, visit www.houstongrandopera.org and www.operaphila.org.
2. On May 17, the Wagner Society of New York (WSNY) will present its Anton Seidl Award to the entire METROPOLITAN OPERA ORCHESTRA. The award, whichrecognizes the orchestra's enormouscontribution to the presentation of Wagner's operas at the Met, is named in honor of Anton Seidl (1850–98),who conducted the Metropolitan Opera premieres of nine Wagner works.
3. Baritone TOBIAS GREENHALGH won the $8,000 first prize in the general opera division of the 2013 LIEDERKRANZ competition on January 19. Other Liederkranz victors were bass-baritone Jason Grant ($10,000 first prize, Wagner division) and mezzo-soprano Fleur Barron ($5,000 first prize, lieder/art song division).
4. On September 17 and 18, the NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC will present Hitchcock!, a live performance of music from movies by the legendary director, as part of its week-long series of film music, The Art of the Score. Other newsworthy items in the NYPOs 2013–14 season include the NY Phil Biennial, a ten-day festival devoted to new and recent music that will commence on May 29, 2014. For details, visit www.nyphil.org.
5. This month, SCHUBERT & CO., a recital series devised by pianists LACHLAN GLEN and JONATHAN WARE, continues its presentation of the complete Schubert songs at Manhattan's Central Presbyterian Church with three April concerts (7, 21 and 28). For details and a full schedule of the series, which will end on May 4 with baritone Edward Parks joining Glen for Schubert's Schwanengesang, visit www.schubertandco.org.
6. In April 2014, soprano SONDRA RADVANOVSKY will return to CANADIAN OPERA COMPANY for her role debut as Elisabetta in Roberto Devereux, conducted by Corrado Rovaris and staged by Stephen Lawless. Tenor Giuseppe Filianoti takes on the title role. For details of the full COC season, visit www.coc.ca.
7. For those Wagnerites who can't get enough of their favorite composer, DG has released WAGNER: COMPLETE OPERAS, a forty-three-CD box set that includes historic recordings of all of Wagner's operas. Included in the set are the Vienna Philarmonic performances of Lohengrin and Parsifal, led by Georg Solti; Carlos Kleiber's Tristan und Isolde with the Staatskapelle Dresden; and a full Ring, with James Levine leading the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra.
Send feedback to OPERA NEWS.