Daniels and Bicket with the English Concert at Carnegie's Zankel Hall in 2009
© Pete Checchia 2013
1. Superstar tenor JONAS KAUFMANN makes his role debut as Manrico in Olivier Py's new production of Il Trovatore at Munich Opera Festival in July. This month, the Bavarian singer headlines the Met's new production of Parsifal and wraps up a recital tour of North America before heading to Vienna's Staatsoper in March for another run as Wagner's pure fool.
2. Conductor HARRY BICKET leads the English Concert in a traversal of Handel's Radamisto at Carnegie Hall on February 24. The performance, which stars DAVID DANIELS in the title role, kicks off a three-season series of Handel operas led by the conductor at the venue.
3. The seven new productions at this year's SALZBURG FESTIVAL feature a number of casting coups, including ANJA HARTEROS and Jonas Kaufmann in Don Carlo; Cecilia Bartoli in the title role of Norma; Luca Pisaroniand Gerald Finley in Così Fan Tutte; and Rolando Villazón in Mozart's Lucio Silla. On the concert platform, Anna Netrebko sings Verdi's Giovanna d'Arco for the first time in a trio of August performances.
4. The WILLIAM MATHEUS SULLIVAN MUSICAL FOUNDATION awarded nine $12,000 grants to young artists who auditioned for the organization at the National Opera Center in New York on November5 and 6. The winners were sopranos Jaclyn Bermudez and Deanna Breiwick; mezzo-soprano J'nai Bridges; tenors Jason Slayden and Marco Stefani; baritones John Brancy and Norman Garrett; and bass-baritones Aubrey Allicock and Brandon Cedel.
5. NEW YORK CITY OPERA has announced the casting for its 2013 season, which opens this month with Allison Cook as the Duchess in Thomas Adès's Powder Her Face at Brooklyn Academy of Music. The company's second BAM showing, The Turn of the Screw, features Sara Jakubiak as the Governess and Dominic Armstrong as Prologue/Peter Quint. Keri Alkema, a memorable Donna Elvira for NYCO in 2009, returns to the roster as Amaltea in April performances of Mosè in Egitto at New York City Center. In a nod to French operetta, the company's final show of the season is Offenbach's La Périchole, starring Marie Lenormand in the title role. For details, visit www.nycopera.com.
Dramatic soprano JANE EAGLEN joins the full-time faculty at New England Conservatory beginning in fall 2013.
6. THE PHILIPS ORIGINAL JACKETS COLLECTION gathers together fifty-five CDs from the record label's catalogue into a cube-shaped box set. The titles, spanning more than fifty years of recordings, are packaged in their original album art jackets with a two-hundred-page booklet detailing the company's history. Some vocal-music highlights include Elly Ameling's Schubert, Brahms and Wolf lieder; José Carreras in a complete Il Corsaro; James King and Janet Baker in Das Lied von der Erde; Dmitri Hvorostovsky's first aria album; and Jessye Norman's Vier Letzte Lieder and Wesendonck Lieder.
The BBC has named Royal Opera House chief executive TONY HALL as the organization's new director general. He is expected to assume his post next month.
Send feedback to OPERA NEWS.